Friday, January 27, 2006

More old movies

I mentioned previously, a couple of instances where actors had been misquoted; as in “You dirty rat”, where it was never said. Here are a couple more…
Johnny Weismuller as Tarzan, never said, “Me Tarzan, you Jane.” What he did do was that he thumped his chest and said “Tarzan!” and gently poked Maureen O’Sullivan and said, “Jane.”
In the film, Algiers, (1938) Charles Boyer was reputed to have issued the immortal lines to Hedy Lamarr, “Come wiz me to zee Casbah!” He never did!
Greta Garbo never said, “I want to be alone.” In 1955 in her retirement, what she said was, “I want to be left alone.”
There is a wealth of lore and legend in old films; actors and actresses were icons of the age and many of them were larger than life. I just might continue on this theme a little longer.

No comments: