Monday, May 15, 2006

My mother

I have recorded before that in my early childhood, I was raised by my grandparents as my mother was attached to the Royal Navy in Suffolk during the war. My father had died tragically six months before I was born. Although she was away a lot, there was always a great affinity between us and was a wonderful caring person.
She left the Admiralty when I was about 14 and set up a consultancy practice treating patients suffering from mental stress and depression. She was fully qualified for this work and she built up a reputation second to none. She came back to live in the family home permanently and she tried to make up for all the time we had not been together. She took me all over the place and we had some wonderful holidays.
Later, we were separated again when I went to university and afterwards, in the army. I was 22 before I ever started earning a penny in civilian life.
My mother always wanted me to read law at university but I thought I knew better and read English literature and modern history. Strange to say, neither of these subjects got me a job; I joined a company in an entirely different field.
I was always in awe of her capabilities in dealing with mentally disturbed and depressive patients. She was a great believer in the power of hypnotherapy. She could ease a troubled mind and trace problems back to a patient’s childhood. Once, I was asked by a friend to help him overcome his fear of flying. I asked my mother to help him and she suggested that I may be able to do this. I actually succeeded in curing him of his fear and I went on to help several friends with their personal problems. I never did this professionally as I wasn’t all that enamoured of poking my nose into other people’s private lives. Nevertheless, I continued to help out over the years as and when the occasion demanded.
Mother had a kind and loving nature and was always ready to offer a shoulder to cry on should it be needed. She could never suffer fools gladly though and I’ve see men turn pale when fixed with her basilisk stare of disapproval!
She had a sort of built-in sixth sense and I could never hide anything from her if I was in trouble or if I had a personal problem. Such was the case when I first met Iris. She could see I was troubled about something and she told me, “When a man is worried, it’s usually over money or a woman!”
She was right, of course. However, it was a good year into our relationship before she discovered my secret love. My wife and mother got on very well together and she was dismayed when she found out about Iris. . By that time, it was too late for her to try and dissuade me and the time-worn phrase of many parents was uttered… “I hope you know what you’re doing!” I did know what I was doing and never regretted it for one second!

No comments: